U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) and Senate Republicans continue to build on their record of accomplishment in the 115th Congress by passing legislation to benefit Texans and the economy, as well as confirming President Trump’s judicial nominees at a record-setting pace.
- TAX REFORM: Reformed America’s tax code for the first time in 31 years – putting more money in the pockets of American families and creating more opportunity for them and their children.
- JUDGES: Confirmed a total of 51 of President Trump’s judicial nominees including:
o Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court;
o 24 appellate judges, including 3 Texans to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals; and
o 26 district court judges, including 3 to District Courts in Texas.
- DISASTER FUNDING:Passed nearly $147 billion in disaster-related funding for natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey in coordination with Gov. Abbott to help rebuild Texas.
- GUN VIOLENCE AND SCHOOL SAFETY:Enacted Senator Cornyn’s Fix NICS Act and STOP School Violence Act to help protect all Americans from gun violence.
- JUSTICE FOR VICTIMS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT: PassedSenator Cornyn’s bills to help end the backlog of cold cases by increasing DNA-testing resources and reauthorize the Debbie SmithAct to provide resources to fight the rape kit backlog. President Trump signed into law Senator Cornyn’s bill to extend the Sexual Assault Forensic Reporting program.
- VETERANS: Delivered real reform and real choice to American veterans with the VA MISSION Act, modernized the veterans appeals process, reformed G.I. bill benefits and further improved VA accountability.
- FARM BILL: Working to provide farmers and ranchers with the certainty and predictability they deserve with Senate passage of a critical Farm bill, which maintains and strengthens the Farm Bill safety net by retaining the Price Loss Coverage program, maintaining crop insurance options for America’s farmers and ranchers, and continuing seed cotton’s inclusion in the farm safety net.
- DEFENSE BILL: Restoring America’s defense with the greatest investment in the military in decades, including the largest troop pay raise in nearly ten years, support for 77 F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, and authorization of $140 million for military construction projects in Texas.
- HEALTHCARE: Enacted the longest S-CHIP extension in history.Repealed the individual mandate tax that forced Americans to buy something many didn’t want or couldn’t afford, and ended IPAB.
- REGULATORY REFORM: Passed Senator Cornyn’s occupational licensing reform legislation. Changed the balance of numerous boards and commissions from Democrat to Republican control, including the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- BANKING REFORM FOR MAIN STREET:Provided local and community borrowers and lenders relief from burdensome Dodd-Frank red tape for the first time.
- FIGHTING SEX TRAFFICKING: Enacted the Stop Enabling Sex Trafficking Act (SESTA) to combat trafficking of young women and girls over the internet.
Senator John Cornyn, a Republican from Texas, is a member of the Senate Finance, Intelligence, and Judiciary Committees.