As part of the FitCity Challenge, City of Tyler Mayor Barbara Bass has launched her FitWalk Challenge to encourage Tylerites to get active and lead a healthy lifestyle.
“Staying fit can be as easy as eating right and walking 30 minutes, three times per week,” said Mayor Bass. “This program is a fun, easy way to motivate others to commit to walking each and every week.”
The program provides incentives to walkers who track their time walking and reach certain milestones. Prizes are given to participants when they initially register; after two weeks on the program; after four weeks and after seven weeks. Those who fill the tracking sheet and bring it to City Hall will also be entered to win a Wii Fit system in a drawing to be held Dec. 16, 2011.
• Pedometer (first 500 to register);
• Sunglasses (first 500 to walk six times in two weeks);
• Sportsbottle (first 500 to walk 12 times in four weeks);
• Sportsbag (first 500 to walk 21 times in 7 weeks); and,
• Wii Fit (one winner; enter by walking 24 times in 8 weeks and bringing your completed card to City Hall, 212 N. Bonner) The drawing will take place on Dec. 16, 2011.
All prizes are to be picked up at City Hall, 212 N. Bonner. No prizes will be mailed.
For those who are unable to walk, or prefer other aerobic exercise, other forms of exercise are acceptable.
“Registering is easy,” added Mayor Bass. “Just go to the City webpage or to www.MayorsFitWalkChallenge.com and download the registration form. You can also come by City Hall at 212 N. Bonner. We truly hope everyone will join us as we take this step toward making Tyler a healthier city.”